Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Huzzah to the Shire of Skywatch

So as I have said before, I am into all sorts of "gaming". I quite enthusiastically enjoy MMORPGs and am not all that bad at first person shooters and the likes. I have been known to play role-playing games as well, but have been hampered by my lack of social graces and unfailing shyness. What I neglected to mention is that a long time ago, when Mr. Fluffy and I first got together, I joined a rousing group of individuals for LARPing. For those of you who do not know what LARP is let me break it down.

Live Action Role Play.

Now, some of you may be thinking "Wait, this chick can't sit at a table and tell someone else what a character written on paper will do but can act it out in person?" Why yes, yes I can. I can do this because of one important thing.

She is me. My persona on the field is just an extension of myself. And it gives me a reason to dress up in period clothing :)

The particular group that I participate in is called Amtgard. Amtgard is all over, there are even chapters overseas. When Mr. Fluffy first brought me in on this, we were participants in a very large and well established group. When we ended up where we live now, there was no group to speak of at all. We made an attempt to establish our own group much to no avail.

A few months ago, Mr. Fluffy had an assignment in his college public speaking course to do a speech about a hobby he had. Even though we had not been active participants for years, he still followed what was going on in the community so he chose to do his speech on Amtgard. Not even an hour later he was having fellow classmates approach him about how to join. When these guys learned that there was no active group here they resolved to fix that. I have never seen a group of people so excited about something before. Before I knew it, they were having weekly meetups and just this week there has been talk about getting us a larger sponsoring group.

I would like to give these guys a big thumbs up. You did a great job.

So go visit these guys on Facebook or on the field and make sure you give them a great big huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment